Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Pleasant Predicament

Last summer I started reading Mr. Popper's Penguins to the kids. We also happened to be reading Five Little Peppers and How They Grew, so it was fun to toss out the question, "What'll it be today kiddos? Poppers or Peppers?" They'd laugh and vote and we'd read our way through another adventure.

Following the Poppers and Peppers, I somewhat absently picked up Mary Poppins. It was on my book list anyway, but when it dawned on me how perfectly it followed the trend, we immediately settled our imaginations at Number Seventeen Cherry-Tree Lane.

We've now finished Mary Poppins, and the question begs to be asked. What do we read next? I hate to break tradition. The Poppers, Peppers, Poppins rhythm is so . . . perfectly pleasing. Drew jokingly suggested The Prince and the Pauper. But I'm totally taking him seriously. Avery voted for Pinocchio, while Aidan gave a shout-out for Pooh. Pollyanna sits on Bethie's shelf, and I'm sure she'd be thrilled with that choice. They're not quite ready for Pride and Prejudice . . . .

Sigh. So little time. Do you have a perfectly pleasing book to add to our list?
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. George McDonald's "The Princess and the Goblins," "The Princess and Curdie," "The Golden Key," and "The Light Princess." :) Also, "The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler," though at the moment I cannot remember the author. :) I have so many more that my dad read to me as a kid, but those are some fun ones! We read Mr. Popper's Penguins too, I always loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the boys would probably not prefer Pink Princess Tea Parties (Barbara Beery) but perhaps Percy Jackson (Rick Riordan) would present itself as a possibility. Paradise Lost (Milton) is posed as a potential for the precocious, while Prayer (O. Hallesby) is my personal plum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...