Wednesday, July 10, 2013

{From the Journal: For Good}


There are many things in this world that I just don't understand. Like calculus. And physics. And the appeal of bungee jumping. But I'm okay with not understanding such things.

Other things? Not so much. I don't understand why loved ones must hurt. Why mothers lose their babies. Why marriages fall apart. Why the young know all about cancer. Why parents must wait so long to have a baby or become "qualified" for adoption. Why those in their prime are called home. I don't understand. And it's happening all around me. To those I know and love.

It hits close to home, and when it does, my human instinct is to panic. I spin my wheels with clenched fists and wary eyes. And you know what? It does absolutely no good.

I'm realizing, however, that the more time I spend in God's Word, the less time I have to dwell on uncertainty. The less time I have to focus on fear. Because perfect love (which belongs to God) casts out fear. And sometimes, as He did this morning, the Lord comes right out and tells it to me straight, just in case I need a reminder:

In the days to come you will understand it clearly.
Jeremiah 23:20

One day I will understand. And clearly. But not today. I like Oswald Chambers' blunt reminder: "You have no business to find out where God is leading, the only thing God will explain to you is Himself."  

So what do I do with today? I learn more of God. I ask Him to "explain Himself" to me, and He delights to do so. He's an excellent Teacher. As I read, as I ask Him to teach me and to make my heart receptive to His Word, I learn. The scales fall from my eyes, my clenched fists relax, and His character, His purpose, His goodness is always revealed.

My eyes will watch over them for their good . . . I will give them 
a heart to know me, that I am the Lord.
Jeremiah 24:6 & 7

Just linger over those words for a minute, my friends. They are full of promise, full of hope. He watches over us . . . for our good. He changes our hearts, He grants us knowledge, He reveals Himself . . . all for good. And that's all that we need for today.

* * * * *

Lord, I thank You for the perfect promises in Your Word. They are all that I need. 
You watch over me, you desire good for me and you are able to change my heart 
so that it knows and understands Your love more and more each day.  
I don't need to know the future, Lord, I just need to know You. 
Teach me this day, O Lord. I'm ready to learn. 


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...