Tuesday, November 9, 2010

She Walks in Beauty



She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies,

And all that's best of dark and bright
Meets in her aspect and her eyes,

Thus mellow'd to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.




One shade the more, one ray the less
Had half impair'd the nameless grace

Which waves in every raven tress

Or softly lightens o'er her face,

Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear th
eir dwelling-place.



And on that cheek and o'er that brow
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,

The smiles that win, the tints that glow

But tell of days in goodness spent,

A mind at peace with all below,

A heart whose love i
s innocent.

Lord George Byron



This weekend, it was my honor to take part in watching women walk in beauty. Robed in white, these women floated down the runway for a unique fashion show -- a fashion show in which wedding gowns from the 50s to the present adorned their graceful forms.

The imagery has kept me stunned for days.

The theme for our church ladies' brunch was "Chosen for a Purpose." Each of these girls was chosen. (As in, I cried out to God, "Help! I need a bunch of models!" And He brought me just what I needed.) Each of the gowns was chosen. (As in, I cried out to God, "Help! I need a bunch of wedding gowns!" And He brought me just what I needed.)



The gowns and women, each chosen . . . for a purpose. Not chosen only for entertainment, and not chosen only for fellowship. But also chosen to provide a lasting image that might be treasured in our hearts: an image of one being clothed in brilliant, satiny white. An image of one being presented -- blameless, spotless -- before her Groom.

As I gazed upon the beauty swirling throughout that room, something caught in my throat. The beauty was tangible. I wanted to reach out and hold onto it. I wanted each and every woman in that room to know that she was beautiful, that she was chosen, and that she could approach her Groom clothed in brilliance because of what He had done for her.



Do you know this of yourself, dear one? You are loved. Oh, how you are loved. Christ desires to draw you unto Himself and clothe you in His radiant splendor. Will you accept the garment He's woven for you with His life? Wrap yourself in this incredible love, and rejoice.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...