Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Pursuit of Health

Today we're focusing on the pursuit of health as we seek to strengthen our minds, bodies and spirits during the summer months.

(To catch up, check out my posts here and here. And if you're in, drop me a line -- I'd love to hear from you!)

I'll be brief today because . . . I'm pooped. You see, Vacation Bible Camp started this week . . . .

Three areas come to mind when I think of health: eating, sleeping, and exercising. I'm sure we can all think of ways to strengthen our bodies, and having a checklist each day might help you reach a personal goal.

I'm not fond of exercising. Not at all. (Unless it's in the form of dancing. That's fun. My sister and I could share a routine or two with you. For a small fee.) But I do like to walk. So I've tried to create a regular routine that takes me around the park for a thirty minute jaunt. I always notice an increase in energy on the days that I choose to do this. Definitely a worthwhile pursuit!


Doesn't this look like Jamie and me?

Sometimes the best thing I can do for my body is to get enough rest. I find that if I write it on my checklist: "Bedtime no later than 11:00!" I'm more likely to do it. At other times I need to focus on my waking up. (I frequently tell my husband that if I could instantly change one thing about myself, I would wish to suddenly have the ability to merrily hop out of bed as soon as the alarm goes off. This hasn't happened yet.)


Adequate rest is not always easy to come by . . . .

Now food, food I do like. Sometimes too much. Especially when it's chocolate. Or ice cream. Or both. So I appreciate my father's sage advice: "Moderation in everything." Sometimes my checklist encourages me to skip the sugar. (My sister has an excellent blog featuring tons of yummy recipes without refined sugar.) Other times I try to make sure I'm getting enough water throughout the day, or I plan to increase my intake of fruits and veggies. You know what your own body needs. Try to do a little something each day to nurture it!


I know just how this girl feels . . . .

So that's it! A little something each day to reach toward the goal of healthy living. How will you pursue health this summer?


Illustrations: Pierre Auguste Renoir, Mary Cassatt, Jessie Willcox Smith
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...