Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Ten Reasons Why Rain Isn't So Bad


I woke up not to the sound of birds chirping and the slant of sunlight streaming through the window. No, I woke up to the sound of rain on the rooftop. Again.

If you live in SW Washington, then you are likely aware of the fact that it's been a Very Rainy Year. (If you are not aware of this, then please go see a doctor.)

I'd like to plan a camping trip with my family. But we might get soaked.

I'd like to lick a mint chocolate chip ice cream cone with my kiddos. But we might freeze.

I'd like spend a day at Seaside. But the drizzle and fog might prevent us from actually seeing the ocean.

In an attempt to remain optimistic, I have devised a list: Ten Reasons Why Rain Isn't So Bad. Because even rain can be a blessing, right? Here goes.

1. More rain means fewer seasonal allergies. We only had to buy two boxes of Claritin this year instead of fifteen.

2. The lawn and flowers are watered naturally and without cost. Hooray for the evergreen state.

3. It doesn't matter if I lose the sunblock. Again. We likely won't need it, anyway.

4. I don't have to worry about putting away last season's clothes. We're still wearing jeans and sweaters.

5. The nights are cool and comfortable -- perfect for sleeping.

6. The weather is ideal for making the cozy meals I love, like oatmeal for breakfast and soup for dinner.

7. My children are avoiding common summer maladies, such as sunburn, skinned knees and bee stings.

8. I can just go on drinking my cream-laced tea while curled up under a blanket with a book.

9. It doesn't matter if my toenail polish gets chipped. I'll probably be wearing socks anyway.

10. A drizzly day makes it easier to stay focused on the housework that needs to be done. No warm sun beckoning me, tempting me to set aside my responsibilities and frolic on sandy shores. No sirree. Just drizzly responsibility. Isn't it great?

There now. Ten whole reasons to love the rain. What would you add to the list? I'm sure there are more. I'm just having a hard time thinking of them.


The Umbrellas, Renoir
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I was just thinking the other day how much money we're saving on air conditioning. Also, I don't have to shave my legs. And...my June flowers are blooming into July. Really....there's so much to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Much to be thankful for. The hydrangeas are just now blooming. I thought they'd never come! A fun surprise :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking about the PNW rain when it was 101 degrees in Boston and we were trying to manage the Freedom Trail.
    All that heat on the east coast and not one decent thunderstorm. Bah.
    (Don't get me wrong, it was a good trip. I just wanted one REAL thunderstorm...)
    Oh well, next time.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...