Monday, March 4, 2013

{Oppinsince}

When Drew was little he had a fun set of Winnie the Pooh books. One of our favorites was Winnie-the-Pooh's Opposites. We loved it mostly because of the way Drew pronounced opposites: oppinsince. We still pronounce it this way.

I got to thinking about this word when popping a bit of chocolate into my mouth this afternoon. As I'm prone to do. (The chocolate-popping part, not so much the thinking part.) I was looking at the orderly chocolate squares in my Swiss bar with their pretty little floral prints and still wondering over my reaction just the night before.

Jamie and I had been sharing the bar, and I was taking great pains to make sure that every square was broken right along the lines. Because it tastes better that way.

I was quite pleased with myself when I successfully broke off two perfectly shaped squares. Jamie had no idea that I relished such pleasures. After we had polished off the first two squares, he absently reached toward the bar and snapped off a piece. A jagged piece.

I think I might have yelped.

My eyes widened and I was quite literally speechless. I stammered and gurgled unintelligibly, and he finally caught on. "Oh. I did it wrong, didn't I?" I mutely nodded. He apologized and we both started laughing -- he because it had actually made me speechless, and I because I was so silly to be affected by an imperfect piece of chocolate.

So this afternoon I naturally felt it to be my bounden duty to straighten out all of those jagged edges. Which just made me love him even more. I guess it's true what they say: Oppinsince attract.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...