Tuesday, May 21, 2013

{Things Unseen}

If you've followed my blog for a while, you are likely aware of the fact that I have a tendency to avoid spending money on things that seem trivial. Such as pot holders. Or towels. I let the old ones wear away to shreds before finally replacing them. I like to call it frugality.

I recently realized that I do the same thing with socks -- my athletic sock supply gradually began to dwindle and thin over the (ahem) years, and I finally faced the fact that I should probably do something about it. So last Monday while Drew was at drums, I hopped on over to Tuesday Morning to see if I could find a yummy deal. I did, and it was such fun to wash them up, fold the plush things and stack them neatly cram them in my sock drawer.

Yes, I took a picture of them.

It was also such fun to wear them. The following afternoon, as per my routine, I hit the neighborhood walking during the kids' lunch hour. My goodness, but my feet were happy. They were soft. They were fluffy. And they actually made a difference in my walk.

Imagine that.

I found myself wondering why I hadn't bought some sooner. Why had I put up with the archaic, thin, nubby things for so long? And then I told myself exactly why: "I'd much rather spend my money on things I can see!" And my mind wandered to the cute top or earrings that I could have gotten instead.

And then my mind kept wandering as my feet kept walking and the Holy Spirit seized the opportunity to whisper to my heart. How much of my energy is spent only on things I can see? How much time? How much money?

What if I was to pour that same energy, that same time, that same money into things . . . unseen?

I bet it would actually make a difference in my walk. 

Imagine that.


So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, 
since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. 
 2 Corinthians 4:18





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...