Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Day 11: Twenty Minutes

There are few hours in life more agreeable
than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea.



Amen.

While I didn't quite have an hour, I did sneak away for a whole twenty minutes this afternoon. It's important for Mama to quiet herself in the middle of the day.

It usually hits me around 3:30 or 4:00. We've finished school and I'm aware that dinner preparations must soon be under way. If I could just sit down for a minute or two . . . .

I pop a load in the dryer, set the fluff cycle for twenty minutes. I know exactly what to do for that twenty minutes.

Tea in hand, I creep up to my room and close the door. Armed with these and this, I enjoy a bit of solitude.

Of course it isn't long before the children and the dryer are buzzing for my attention. But it's just the respite I needed. I swallow the last sweet drop, emerge from my cocoon, and drift back down, renewed and refreshed.

Sometimes twenty minutes (and some serious chocolate) is all it takes.


Read about my thirty-one day challenge over here.

Quote: Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady
Painting: Edmund C. Tarbell, "Afternoon Tea"

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...