Wednesday, October 19, 2011

{Day 19} :: Mother and Darling

It's Wednesday. This means that at some point this evening, Bethie will come to me and say, "Mother?" (Yes, she calls me Mother. It's all of those books from the 40s I was telling you about. I love it.)

So anyway, she'll say, "Mother?"

And I'll say, "Yes, Darling?" (Yes, I call her Darling. It's all of those books from the 40s I was telling you about. I love it.)

So anyway (again), she'll say Mother and I'll say Darling, and then she'll say, "Can we do Beautiful Girlhood tonight?" Because every Wednesday, as much as possible, we try to read a chapter together over a cup of tea.


Although the book is special and heartwarming and I'm glad we chose it, I believe it really could be any book. She'd still ask for it. Because it's not so much about what's done as it is about with whom it's done.

And Darling feels pretty special when she gets to spend time alone with Mother.

So what will happen tonight when she says Mother and I say Darling? Mother will say yes. Will there be dishes in the sink? Probably. Will there be laundry to fold? Most definitely. But still, she'll say it: Yes.

And she'll sit and read and share the serious and the silly over a cup of tea with this girl-becoming-young-woman. Because these are the things that matter. These are the things worth sitting for.


Read about the thirty-one day challenge over here.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...